Begin Main Content Area

​Parole Violator Questions

Individuals under community supervision who violate parole and are returned to incarceration are being housed at either SCI Coal Township or SCI Greene. Because of the COVID-19 health and safety precautions, this unique situation has created a lot of questions by the family members, loved ones and friends of the parole violator. The most-often asked questions received by institutional parole staff are answered here.

Why haven’t I heard from my loved one now that he/she is back at the SCI?

Parole violators are provided one phone call at reception. Department of Corrections (DOC) staff cannot disclose to whom the call was made. After the initial phone call, inmates are placed under a 21-day quarantine and cannot use the telephone until medically cleared.

Can I write to my loved one?

Yes. All incarcerated individual’s non-legal mail must be sent to the following address:
Smart Communications/PA DOC
SCI [add the SCI name]
Inmate Name/Inmate Number
PO Box 33028
St Petersburg, FL  33733

Can my loved one order commissary?

Parole violators (PV) cannot order commissary while housed on the PV Reception Unit. Inmates are generally housed on the PV Unit for 21 days; however, this time frame may be extended in order to safely meet the needs of the institution during any COVID-19 pandemic safety precautions.

Can I put money in my loved one’s account?

Yes. DOC uses JPay for the processing of ALL MONEY ORDERS sent to all incarcerated individuals in all Pennsylvania correctional institutions AND all online and over-the-phone credit card transactions.

Family and friends must deposit money into an inmate's account through JPay either online or through lobby kiosks at each individual state prison. This service allows the funds to be posted to inmate accounts electronically and results in quicker access to the deposited funds. DO NOT send money to any other individual, website or Email account. Money orders are NOT accepted at any state correctional institutions.

For JPay information, call 800.574.5729

Can my loved one speak to his/her attorney?

Parole violators are not permitted to use the telephones until medically cleared in order to best mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Please advise your loved one’s attorney that he/she must contact the SCI facility and schedule a legal call, if needed, with the SCI Unit Team where he/she is incarcerated.

How can I get an update on my loved one’s parole status?

All updates must come from the person who is incarcerated. Privacy regulation prohibit discussing specific case details with anyone other than the inmate/parolee or his/her attorney, even if those individuals asking are family members, loved ones or friends. Exact hearing dates are not provided to the general public, even if those requesting are family members, loved ones or friends. Copies of Parole Board Actions may be obtained AFTER the incarcerated individual has received his/her copy first.

The Parole Board has extensive information about the four different types of parole violation hearings to give family members, loved ones and friends additional information about the parole violation process.

How can I visit with the inmate?

Parole violators are able to participate in video visitation after he/she is medically cleared. All visitors must be on the authorized visitor list and a DC-313 must be present for any children participating in the call. A minor may only participate in a video visit if accompanied by a parent/guardian.

Individuals may sign up and schedule a visit on the Department of Corrections' visitation scheduler system.

The Department of Corrections' website has detailed information on the video visitation program.